Friday 16 September 2011

Dusty Springfield - "Stay Awhile"...

As this is my 100th post (thanks everyone for reading!), I'd like it to be a song that's very special to me, Dusty Springfield's "Stay Awhile".

It was upon hearing this song after a late autumn afternoon spent shopping on the Portobello Road in 2003, and purchasing two polka-dotted teacups that were a major influence as well, that I thought "I want to start a band that sounds like today" and thusly formed H Bird.

To me its a POP DREAM, the epitome of that type of 60s song.  And it clocks in at under 2 minutes!!  (The Soft Close-Ups are getting there, our next single may well be one minute something)  It evokes the magic of the moment, that special moment that pop can take you to.  It's there in the title, "Stay Awhile", not forever, just awhile, enough to let whatever wondrous magic that's there unfold.  That possibility inherent in all great POP - "Treat me right, must you run now?  For the night's just begun now".  And the enticement to let it all happen - "So come on baby!"

I truly love this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment