Monday 18 March 2013

R.I.P. Clive Burr/Gogmagog...

I just found out the sad news that Clive Burr, drummer on the first three Iron Maiden albums, died on March 12th. I loved Maiden growing up, still do. Nice obituaries here and here.

The Prisoner, from The Number Of The Beast album, live in Hammersmith 1982 with Clive on drums:



And I only just learned about the supergroup Gogmagog!  I feel like I should've known about, and would've been very excited about, them years ago. Notable for its combination of past (Paul Di'Anno, Clive Burr) and future (Janick Gers) Iron Maiden members as well as original Def Leppard guitarist Pete Willis.  I especially find this interesting as in the excellent Iron Maiden: The Early Days DVD, someone at EMI was talking about Maiden and Def Lep being the two biggest New Wave Of British Heavy Metal bands at the time of them signing Maiden (1980-ish) so it's nice to see them converge here.

Gogmagog only released one 3 track EP, I Will Be There, in 1985. Nice catchy glam metal/hard rock but a bit of a punky snarl that I'm really enjoying. All 3 songs:

I Will Be There:



Living In A F*cking Time Warp:



It's Illegal, It's Immoral, It's Unhealthy But It's Fun:


No comments:

Post a Comment