Sunday 9 May 2021

Week In Music May 2nd - May 9th

Happy Mother's Day, all! I'll keep this short as I'm spending time with mine.

A song I absolutely love that my mom used to play all the time when I was growing up and that I've been listening to a lot the past few days. Sly & The Family Stone's 'Everybody Is A Star'


What else has been in my headphones this week. A lot of Yoko Ono. Exploring more of her work. 1995' 'Rising' album with IMA is incredible. Lots of stylistic territory explored and two gorgeous tunes in 'Goodbye, My Love' and 'Revelations'. The 'Yes, I'm A Witch' remix/collaboration record is really great too and the version of 'Revelations' with Cat Power is very moving





I've also been slowly making my way through Colin Harper's excellent 'Bathed In Lightning' book about John McLaughlin, and so much more. Incredibly dense history, that 200 pages in has provided much detail on the 60s session scene in London. There's many curios to stop and look up along the way. Including John & Duffy Power's take on 'God Bless The Child'




And this amazing performance of 'Cherokee' on the Tonight Show in 1984




It was pouring earlier this week and sitting by the window watching the drops fall it was pleasant to be reminded of Terri Rae's 'It's Raining'. One day I'll find her whole record




And I had a fantastic conversation with Fightmilk for an upcoming episode of the ETC podcast, out May 17th. Their new record, 'Contender', is out before that on the 14th and oh boy, are you in for a treat! They've expanded their palette and taken things up a couple notches. Killer tunes, especially this one. And a great video by Jono Ganz.  'Overbite':




That's all for now. I'm thinking of turning this blog into an email newsletter. Let me know what you think about that idea

No comments:

Post a Comment