Friday 5 August 2011

Bedhead - "Disorder" (Joy Division cover)...

I've heard very few Joy Division covers that I've thought were good/worth doing.  And none I can remember except this one*.  Those songs were so perfectly rendered to begin with, the idea seems almost pointless.  But I've always been mesmerized by the brilliance of this version of "Disorder" from Bedhead's 4-song EP.  The sound is gorgeous, filling a great amount of space and giving the simultaneous illusion of a large amount of activity and a very slow shadowy procession imperceptibly oozing towards its conclusion.





The Joy Division original (one of my all-time favourite songs):





*Actually, Still (John Frusciante, Flea, & Josh Klinghoffer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers) do a faithful live rendition of it:





They did a whole gig of Joy Division covers at Spaceland, October 10th, 2000, which is very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment