Thursday 24 September 2015

Young Marble Giants Concert - November 6, 1980

This is lovely, a black and white film of Young Marble Giants playing live at The Western Front, Vancouver, Canada, on November 6, 1980. I'm waiting for permission from Western Front Archive to embed the video here but click on that first link to watch the concert.

After about seven hours total sleep in three days, I flew into London from Boston, MA on Saturday morning and went straight to Martin Newell's London Golden Afternoon gig. It was ace. I was supposed to go out that evening but my body felt like jelly and rest was much, much needed. So I went back to the flat where I'm staying, made myself a large cup of Higher Living Chamomile & Vanilla tea and found this. That combination proved to be exactly what was required. 

I chatted to the legendary Rhys Mwyn recently for my Quietus article on 'Welsh Language Outsider Pop' and he noted: "There's a long tradition of cool bands from Wales. Take your pick but let's say you go back to the Young Marble Giants in 1979/1980. They were absolute mavericks. Their album Colossal Youth was just as powerful as Never Mind The Bollocks. Even though it was minimalist, there was such a power and energy to it."

A good recent piece in MOJO with Young Marble Giants talking about their (initially short) career and now playing at this year's Meltdown Festival curated by David Byrne.

No comments:

Post a Comment