Thursday 22 March 2012

The Crystals - He's A Rebel...

He's A Rebel by The Crystals.  Written by Gene Pitney, produced by Phil Spector.  One of my all-time favourite songs.  My mom used to play this 45 all the time when I was growing up.  Last night I was playing my guitar along to some girl-group greats and I realized one of the things that makes this song Incredibly Brilliant is a half-step modulation up going into the first chorus.  The "No No No"s at the end are Wonderful as well.



As this gets cut off, here's the full version:



I almost wish I hadn't looked up any info on this song as it all seems a little sordid.  It's not actually The Crystals singing it for one thing, it's Darlene Love backed by The Blossoms.  The Crystals themselves were out on tour and Spector was in a hurry to get his own version of this song out, so he brought Love and The Blossoms into the studio.  Vikki Carr had a version out around the same time as well (link to video there but the video is so poor I don't want to post it).  Another video of The Crystals version here with some very interesting information about their career, including the rare Let's Dance The Screw Parts 1 & 2 single.  He's A Rebel was also originally offered to The Shirelles, who turned it down because of the lyrics. Not that any of this takes away from what an Excellent song it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment