Sunday 11 March 2012

The Go-Betweens - Right Here...

Sometimes, when you decide to investigate a band, you are somehow drawn directly to what you would like most of their work, like benevolent Pop spirits are guiding you to exactly what you need, because they know you should get into this group.  Such was the case when I decided it was high time for me to hear The Go-Betweens (great fan site here). For reasons I'm completely at a loss to recall, perhaps simply because I just liked the name the best, Talullah was the first record I bought of theirs.  And when I put it on and heard Right Here, I fell in love.  Gorgeous pop sound and melody, lyrics a little obtuse though still pleasing.   I quickly snatched up the rest of their records and read their excellent biography by David Nichols.




Early version:




Live on the ABC's Blah Blah Blah, 1988:




Live on the ABC's Rock Arena, 1986:




Talullah-era interview with Lindy Morrison and Amanda Brown (shortly after she became a full-time member).  The first time I've ever heard it confirmed that the double-L in their album titles is intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment