Friday 29 June 2012

Saint Etienne - Wouldn't It Be Nice...

I've been dying to hear their cover of this, must've missed when it was on the recent MOJO cd, and I don't have the boxset.  Wouldn't It Be Nice was always my favourite Beach Boys song, and strangely enough, I just bought Pet Sounds for the first time last night!  I know, I know.  I loved The Beach Boys when I was a kid and my parents would play me the early singles (my dad always used to play Fun, Fun, Fun on his guitar for us, another one of my favourites).  And for years I knew I *should* get into them, but being the obsessive record collector that I am, the task seemed so daunting.  Much like how I know one day I want to, and will, read Finnegans Wake, but when will I ever have the time?  Anyway, Pet Sounds has come up a few times this week, twice the night of the Saint Etienne gig.  They mentioned it in my interview with them and then afterwards I was talking to my friend Jason about it.  And last night, after I read Bill Drummond singing its praises at the end of his 17 book (excellent description of said book by Paul Morley), I thought maybe I should just buy it and do my best not to go overboard.  So I did, and pulled out my really good headphones and put it on as I went to bed.  And then awoke this morning to an email from Jason with a link to the Saint Etienne cover!  And how wonderful it is too.  Glorious vocal harmonies a la the original and also reminiscent of their Tales From Turnpike House record. Lovely tradeoff between Debsey and Sarah.




Original Beach Boys 60s video.

No comments:

Post a Comment