Saturday 8 September 2012

Nino Rota - 8 1/2 Rhumba/What I Played At DEBBIE September 7th, 2012...

I DJ'd the opening slot at DEBBIE last night, Sina's all-female vocal night, now at The White Rabbit in Stoke Newington, a really good venue. Sina likes to open every DEBBIE with a lesser known Debbie Harry number and I was delighted to remember that she covered the rhumba from Fellini's 8 1/2 (one of my favourite films). The Rhumba from the beach scene with Saraghina is such an incredibly awesome piece of music, ecstatically cool, a brilliant composition by Nino Rota, and such a shame it's not on the official soundtrack.



So I was delighted to learn that Debbie Harry did a version of it as a b-side to her 1993 single Strike Me Pink (also on Debravation:Producer's Cut). I can't find this anywhere on the internet to share, and I had to track down the cd single when I first heard that she covered it. Truth be told, it's not as great as the original, but still awesome that it exists. And I was psyched to open my set with it last night.

What I Played At DEBBIE, September 7th, 2012:

Deborah Harry - 8 1/2 Rhumba
Kahimi Karie - Good Morning World
Emmanuelle Seigner - Dingue
Marsha Gee - Peanut Duck
Dracula's Daughter - Candy
Diane Renay - Kiss Me Sailor
Brenda Holloway - Reconsider
The Would-Be-Goods - Velásquez & I
Vanessa Paradis - Be My Baby
Saint Etienne - Kiss And Make Up (London Conversations version)
The B-52's - Debbie
Pris - Blu Tack Baby
Otur - Apart
Paisley & Charlie - Hold Me
Club 8 - The Chance I Deserve
Anthony Adverse - London My Town
Shrag - Rabbit Kids
Lesley Gore - Sometimes
Freezepop - Doppelganger
Shampoo - Delicious
Gina G - Ooh Aah...Just A Little Bit (this seems to have become my signature tune ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment