Friday 24 August 2012

The Afghan Whigs- When We Two Parted...

In the sheer deluge of bands reuniting in recent years, The Afghan Whigs has been the only reformation I've shown any interest in. In fact, something inside me automatically screamed 'YES!' the moment I read about it. I'd seen them live twice the first time around, knew what they were capable of, and knew that, judging by Greg Dulli's work lately, he still had it in him to take it to that level. The last time I saw them was Valentine's Day 1999, Dulli completely in his element on such a day. And seeing them last Sunday at Koko, the stage was bathed in red light as they walked on, as if continuing straight on from there. My review of the gig for The Quietus here. 

Their version of When We Two Parted from the Gentlemen album was particularly lovely that night, and here it is:



The album version. A devastatingly beautiful picture of the disintegrated end of a relationship, where the ties are no less strong. The 33 1/3 book about Gentlemen is a good read as well.



I've posted about the Whigs before.  Summer's Kiss being one of my all-time favourite songs (such a great live version last week). And how they are also the best covers band (seriously, lots of their versions are better than, or at least just as good as, the original).

No comments:

Post a Comment