Monday 13 July 2020

Week In Music July 6 - 12th

Morricone. What can I say? A tremendous loss.

Wrote the most beautiful song I know, one of my favourites of all-time. Mina's 'Se Telefonando'. And he wrote it for a television show! So great he could just rattle stuff off like this for whatever. I love how the tune has no real tonal center, and of course the emotion behind it - what words cannot express - is why there is music in the first place.





And another gorgeous slice of pop is his 'Deep Down' from the Danger: Diabolik soundtrack. Sung by Christy, who I wish did more.




I discovered both of these one rainy night in 2005 when, having recently returned to my hometown in the States from my beloved London, I put on the Canto Morricone Vol. 1 - The 60's compilation that had just arrived in the post. I was driving back from picking up some takeout for my family from one of our favourite Italian restaurants when Mina came on track 3 and I was completely floored. I can still remember where I was as I realized just how amazing what was coming through my speakers was. The stoplight turning green, the hill to the golf course on my right, the factory to my left, the rain lightly drumming down on the windscreen.

My big discovery this week is Hedvig Mollestad. Liam from the Pynchon In Public podcast sent me that link and I started listening. And just kept going. Had her on for hours that first day. And have started buying the albums. One at a time in order to savour. She's a phenomenal guitarist and her work combines jazz, rock, and groove in a rather excellent way. I've been digging these:





Loved the Eurovision movie and have been getting 'Jaja Ding Dong' stuck in my head a lot. I feel a certain affinity for the man who kept calling out for it.





Relistening to The In-Kraut Vol. 1 compilation, which has Marianne Mendt's fantastic 'Wie A Glock'n', I was also way into 'Molotow Cocktail Party'. This tune is wild. And packs the phrase 'cocktail party' in to the limits of how many times you can say it in a two-and-a-half minute pop song.




Had a great conversation with David Ryder Prangley about his new solo album for my Etcetera ETC With Young Southpaw podcast. We talked a lot about KISS and Van Halen of course, which had me revisit Paul's 1978 solo album. Some really good songs on there! Hadn't heard it in decades. Love the glam pop/rock of 'It's Alright' and 'Wouldn't You Like To Know Me'. Reminds me of the early glammy Mötley Crüe stuff that I wish they'd done more of.



No comments:

Post a Comment