Monday 5 October 2020

Week in Music & Such September 28th - October 4th

Honeyblood's 'The Third Degree' has been my song of the week. What a wonderful, jubilant, modern guitar take on a 60s-esque tune. LOVE it. 


Bought the Honeyblood discography on Bandcamp Friday.


Also bought Sam Barton's 'Acid Apple Satin Walls'. Great new record. Electronic, experimental elements. And 'We Painted Our Faces And Gave False Names' is a thing of beauty. One of my tracks of the year.


Also discovered Blue Boredom. Lovely female-voiced synthpop. They remind me of someone but I haven't figured out who yet. 

Interviewed John Andrew Fredrick again for the latest episode of Etcetera ETC With Young Southpaw. My first repeat guest. And always a pleasure to chat with the elegantly loquacious Mr. Fredrick. So I was listening to his new Black Watch album, Fromthing Somethat, of which this is my favourite song from it:


In other news, finished William Boyd's 'Armadillo'. I really enjoyed reading it, though I was convinced the end could have gone a couple of different ways and I wasn't so sure about this relationship with Flavia, with it coming from so little. 

Now I'm onto 'The End' by Fernanda Torres. Really enjoying this. Ostensibly about the lives of five male friends in Rio, but it's almost as equally the story of the women in their lives. Very fun, bawdy, but emotionally packing a punch as well.

Re-read Nabokov's 'The Vane Sisters' two nights ago and was once again deeply touched by its beauty and inventiveness. 

TV-wise, I continue to be enthralled with The Bureau. Devoured Season 2 in four days and now onto Season 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment