Sunday 13 November 2011

The Damned - "Wait For The Blackout"/"History Of The World Part 1"...

I went to see The Damned's 35th Anniversary Tour last night at The Roundhouse.  I've reviewed it for godisinthetvzine so I won't say too much, except it was what I was looking forward to most this year and it did not disappoint.  They were playing Damned Damned Damned and The Black Album in their entireties, plus a hits encore.  Damned Damned Damned was a joyous explosion of raw energy, especially the anthems "Neat Neat Neat" and "New Rose", but it was The Black Album portion of the show for me that was truly wonderful, being one of my favourite albums and containing two songs of the highest quality.

"Wait For The Blackout" is MAGNIFICENT.   Riotous fun from note one, a guaranteed feel-good pick-me-up.  Hugely catchy riff, great melodies, wonderfully fun subject matter,  amusing middle-8, killer outro.  A perfect song, in my opinion.

With Rat Scabies miming Dave Vanian's vocals:




Great BBC Session (October 9th, 1980):




From The Roundhouse gig last night (November 12th, 2011):




And then there's "History Of The World Part 1".   An epic single which should've been #1 for weeks.  Enormous in scope, vast darkness speckled with thunderous ethereal lights.  Gorgeous melodies, insistent playing, hugely musical, carrying one on a grand sonorous journey.





Mike Read Session 9-10-80:




And an absolutely frantic "I Feel Alright" from last night:

No comments:

Post a Comment