Monday 28 November 2011

Franz Liszt/Roger Daltrey - Love's Dream...

R.I.P. Ken Russell.   I was just saying again last week how brilliant the film Lisztomania is.  Like Beatlemania, though long before, Franz Liszt would inspire delirium amongst his concert audiences.  Poet Heinrich Heine is credited with the term 'Lisztomania'.  In the film, The Who's Roger Daltrey plays Liszt, while Paul Nicholas is his archenemy Richard Wagner. Ringo Starr plays The Pope and Rick Wakeman appears as Thor, a Viking Wagner attempts to reanimate.  I picked this up for my friend Craig MacNeil two years ago and he practically insisted I watch it before sending it to him. So glad I listened to him. The soundtrack is ace, and this lovely number is my favourite:




Liszt's Liebestraum No. 3, played by pianist David Wilde.

No comments:

Post a Comment