Saturday 21 July 2012

Catch Up (Reviews + Interview)...

I reviewed the new Philip Jeays record, My Own Way, which is pretty great.  I need to do a proper post on Jeays, and have been meaning to for ages, I highly recommend checking him out.  I was introduced to him as "the British Jacques Brel" back in 2005,  immediately heading to Brixton to see him play that night on that alone, and have been very impressed ever since.  The title track from the new record:



Very fond of the new Monochrome Set album, Platinum Coils, one of the best records of the year so far.  Hip Kitten Spinning Chrome is its wonderful opener, a very catchy pop song with intriguing lyrics:



And Go-Kart Mozart's long-awaited On The Hot Dog Streets.  Not only does it look fantastic, complete with list of books read, albums listened to, and other tidbits during the making of the record, but it is also an artistic statment where nearly every song will get stuck in your head for weeks after hearing it.  Not too much from the record on YouTube but I like this slower number:



And I had the chance to interview Artmagic at their record release party at St. Pancras Old Church.  Artmagic is Richard Oakes' from Suede's new project, a duo with Sean McGhee.  That was exciting!  Both were very nice and had a lot to say.  Two of my favourites from their album, Become The One You Love, performed here live at Perry Vale Studios.

You, a very fine pop song:



The lovely Half-Life:

No comments:

Post a Comment