Wednesday 30 March 2011

Bridge...

THE POP MUSIC YOU'VE BEEN WANTING TO HEAR ALL YOUR LIFE!!!!  I only just discovered Bridge last year when Larry Farber* posted a song of theirs on Facebook.  I fell in love immediately and sought out what I could.  Grabbing 2 albums here ("Preppy Kicks" kicks off with the following song) and then just noticing a further 3.  I really don't know anything about them, except what I could find here. 

The band served as the connector, in many ways, between the distinctly foreign in quality of Flipper's Guitar and specifically Burt Bacharach-esque of Pizzicato Five.   Strangely, Bridge sounds like one of the most Japanese products of the Shibuya-kei movement.  (bibabidi.com)

Bridge was a project of Kaji Hideki, who seems to have done quite a lot and who I'm now anxious to check out.  The Swedes seem to love Bridge and that is usually a good indicator of quality : )   If anyone can tell me any more about them, I'd love to know.




This song is just wonderful.   Joyous pop, a gorgeous melody ever-so-slightly tinged with sadness, these two combined like all the best songs do, and with that lovely wistful longing in the vocals.  I have no idea what the lyrics mean but that doesn't matter, one can tell just by the way it's sung.






*Larry runs a cool record/film/book/coffee/miscellaneous shop in Stockholm, stop by if you're ever there.  I met Larry when I sold him an Aisler's Set cd over ebay in 2001 and we've been in touch ever since.  He even set up a rock stone gig in Varberg when I toured Sweden in 2003.  Played to a couple of fans and about 20 drunk hospital workers having a party.  This gig is notable as it was a) where I discovered Jarlsberg cheese and b) the only time I have ever performed any Aug's Gone Goth!?! song live, the tune holding this honour being "German Art School Girl".

No comments:

Post a Comment