Monday 28 March 2011

My All-Time Favourite Songs...

Often I find it very difficult indeed, bordering on impossible, to describe music.  After all, transcending words is one of the very properties of music.  So pardon my rather simplistic attempts to talk about my two absolute favourite songs of all-time.  These being "The Last Beat Of My Heart" by Siouxsie & The Banshees and "Se Telefonando" by Mina, 'The Tigress of Cremona' .  (Untiedundone is also an amazing Siouxsie site, excellent live audio archive, pics, interviews and more, highly recommended).

With both of these songs I've always felt a huge sense of gorgeousness, of importance, of grand drama unfolding where one's very life was pouring forth and, perhaps futilely, dependent upon the music they were making.  They are both, to quote "The Last Beat Of My Heart", 'majestic, imperial'.  I do prefer the live single version of "The Last Beat Of My Heart" to this album version but this video is beautiful (and there are a few great live versions on Untiedundone, link above).  And to think that "Se Telefonando" (composed and arranged by Ennio Morricone, with lyrics by Maurizio Costanzo & Ghigo De Chiara) was written as a theme for a television show, Aria Condizionata!  Morricone has said that the tune, that seems to have no real tonal center, was inspired by the siren of a police car heard in Marseilles.

Without further ado, my two favourite songs ever:





No comments:

Post a Comment