Tuesday 29 March 2011

Tiptoe Through The Tulips...

Last night I went to see Adrian Edmondson & Neil Innes' The Idiot Bastard Band at The Wilmington Arms (a smallish pub in London).  Paul Whitehouse was the special guest.  I think it was the most starstruck I have ever been.  The last time I was at The Wilmington it was to listen to my friend Alex Sarll give a very interesting and amusing talk on Emperor Frederick II . And now here were two of my all-time favourite comediens and the man who wrote the songs for "Monty Python & The Holy Grail" on stage!  It all felt quite odd.  But Paul Whitehouse's first song was an absolutely lovely number that I'd never heard before, "Tiptoe Through The Tulips".  As soon as I got home I began searching for it.  Here is the 1929 original by Nick Lucas from the film "Gold Diggers Of Broadway":



And here is my favourite version I've found so far, by Annette Hanshaw:






And Mr. Whitehouse's last song was a quite excellent version of 'Green Green Grass Of Home' .  I couldn't find a way to buy those versions of "Tiptoe" so I just used the YouTube To MP3 Convertor .

No comments:

Post a Comment