Saturday 4 February 2012

Snow...

As it's snowing in London (and has been so so cold this week), I'm put in mind of Saint Etienne's cover of Randy Newman's Snow, which appeared on their Christmas 2003 Fanclub EP.  I have 2 copies of this EP as I was in London at the time and finally got to see them properly (when they came to America it was always smaller venues).  I went to the Oxford warm-up show at the Zodiac club, which I believe was the first time Ian Catt played bass onstage with them, and was so glad I did.  It was an incredible show, everything you wanted to hear.  I missed the midnight bus home by 1 minute and therefore had to wait 59 minutes in the freezing cold for the next one, inspiring my Lullaby Oscillator song It's Freezing, Please Take Me Back To London.  But yes, so glad I made the trip.  Great as the xmas gig proper at The Palladium was (Edwyn Collins dueting with Sarah on I Was Born On Christmas Day!!), the sound at the theatre was no match for the club soundsystem at The Zodiac, the way you were meant to hear those songs I think.

Side note:  Before those xmas 2003 gigs, right before they went on, the DJ played a song called "Il Neige", could've been Snow in French, I didn't know the song at the time.  But if anyone knows this Il Neige and can let me know who sang it, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks.



By the way, have you heard the new Saint Etienne song, Tonight?  It's really good, you can grab it here.

Claudine Longet's version:




Harry Nilsson's version:




I like how they're all a bit different from each other, but all quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment