Saturday 5 May 2012

What I Played At Negative Creep, May 4th, 2012...

Negative Creep, Hackney Trashbar, London.  May 4th, 2012

The remit for this was "grunge".  The limits of its definition were definitely tested.

Dinosaur Jr. - Freak Scene
Sonic Youth  - 100%
The Afghan Whigs - Debonair
Chainsaw Kittens - Connie, I've Found The Door
Fugazi - Waiting Room
Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick
Melvins - Hooch
Screaming Trees - Nearly Lost You
The Breeders - Cannonball
The Jesus & Mary Chain - Reverence
Belly - Feed The Tree
Sonic Youth - Kool Thing
Bikini Kill - Suck My Left One
Daisy Chainsaw - Love Your Money
Faith No More - Midlife Crisis
Mudhoney - You Got It
Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Grey Cell Green
Pavement - Summber Baby (Winter Version)
My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow

This was nice as I recalled my first ever night in London in July 1992, discovering cider earlier in the evening and winding up at the Marquee Club (whilst looking for The 100 Club as I used to have a Pistols at The 100 Club poster on my wall).  It was incredibly exciting, especially as within minutes of walking in I heard Freak Scene, Love Your Money, Pretend We're Dead and Far Gone & Out, fantastic slices of pop I had just discovered back in suburban Connecticut.  I haven't heard Pretend We're Dead in a while but the other 3 still sound amazing, and unique, today.  

There was a moment I was looking through my cds and saw Always' The Turf Accountant's Dream and every fibre of my being wanted to play it ; ) 







2 comments:

  1. Breeders Cannonball. Irreverant and amateur video. hazy crazy sound. 16mm sound and vision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good. A friend reminded me of it the other night, so glad he did! When I think of The Breeders I usually put on Divine Hammer or their excellent So Sad About Us cover.

    ReplyDelete