Monday 31 August 2020

Week in Music August 24th - 30th

 I lost one of my best friends this week. It's rough. Very sad. I've written about what an amazing individual he was plenty elsewhere and I want to bang this post out quick so I don't skip a week as we're having one (of many) zoom memorials for him this evening. I will say this though. He knew what a music obsessive I was when we met, so he and another friend made a conscious effort to get me into Nick Cave so I would buy all the albums and they could hear them. Ever since I heard the news, 'New Morning' has been stuck in my head. Here's the live version. Andy would go on and on about what an amazing sounding record Live Seeds is, and he wasn't wrong


The night before this happened, I was in on one of Tim Burgess' #timslisteningparty for The Cleaners From Venus' Midnight Cleaners. Was great to be there with other Cleaners fans and listen to the whole record again. 'Corridor Of Dreams' is a wonderful, somewhat ethereal pop song. Beautiful and not-quite otherworldly, like those moments right before evening descends, 'between the dog and the wolf', as the French say. My favourite song on the album and one of my favourite Martin Newell songs.



I finally watched that Go-Go's documentary and it was excellent. 'We Got The Beat' also stuck in my head a lot. What a great anthem. 



Jane Wiedlin, what a popstar! Her persona is just fantastic, the way she's so bubbly and bouncy on stage and yet also totally means business. And her 'Rush Hour' is one of the best pop songs of all-time. It contains all the excitement and energy that is the very essence of pop music. 




Paul Simpson of The Wild Swans posted about him singing backing vocals on this new Candy Opera song. A pop band from Liverpool who I had not heard before but am enjoying what I am hearing, in a big guitar pop way.

No comments:

Post a Comment