Monday 7 September 2020

Week In Music August 31st - September 6th

First up this week for getting stuck in my head, hitting home more and more as the years go by, is The Melting Ice Caps' 'Selfish Bachelor'. The original, fully orchestrated version which unfortunately isn't on the internet, but there is a live performance of something close to it from 2010



I interviewed Carla Easton for this week's Etcetera ETC With Young Southpaw episode. Her 'Weirdo' is currently my pop album of the year. It's fantastic; enormous energy, huge sound. My favourites switch all the time, which is one of the signs of a great album. 'Never Knew You' is amazing, great video too. On my first listen to the whole record, I looked up during the first verse to see if my device hadn't started playing Taylor Swift for some reason. 



Most stuck in my head this week has been Blast Off Country Style's 'Cutie Pie'. Which was the first song I heard when I turned on college radio when I got to college. Went straight down to Newbury Comics and bought the cd. Incredibly catchy and fun. 



Fightmilk have a new single out. Need I say more?


Bought that, the Illuminati Hotties album, and Honeyblood's 'Killer Bangs' single on this last Bandcamp Friday.

Downloaded all the texts from my friend Andy who passed away last week. 262 pages since November 2018 when I switched to iPhone. Looking forward to grabbing all my old phone's messages when I get back to them. When I was driving cross country in February, rushing to meet up with him in Phoenix for the day and a half he'd be there, I mentioned I had listened to 120 Lucksmiths songs one day in the car. He'd never heard them but I was sure he'd appreciate them. He asked me to send him their best song so I sent him 'There Is A Boy Who Never Goes Out'. He said it was 'pretty good' but then YouTube starting playing him The Beths and he got REALLY into them. Loved 'em. So I listened to their album again which is pretty great. I love the sound of their guitar lead lines.





Then yesterday I woke up with a song stuck in my head and I was wondering how I was ever going to remember what it was. This dismayed me but I remembered I emailed a friend about it sometime in the past year and if it came down to it, I could go through all our old emails. Luckily it didn't come to that and I finally placed it as 'Come In You'll Get Pneumonia' by The Easybeats. It's basically one big great chorus



Today I woke up with Diane Coffee's 'Like A Child Does' stuck in my head and it has stayed

No comments:

Post a Comment