Monday 14 September 2020

Week in Music and More September 7 - 13th

I interviewed John Higgs for the latest Etcetera ETC With Young Southpaw podcast this week. Great conversation. Recently read his 'Stranger Than We Can Imagine: An Alternative History Of The 20th Century' and loved it. Really looking forward to delving into 'Watling Street' and 'The Future Starts Here'. Recently there was a reissue of his book about the band TC Lethbridge, written before they'd ever played a gig. I really dig that opening ROCK riff:



Matthew Reed Baker tweeted about Can's 'Future Days' which had me throwing the album on, and this bootleg. And thinking how wonderful it must have been to have made this music.






Mostly stuck in my head this week is Carla Easton's fantastic POP song 'Never Knew You'. First time I heard this, I looked up to see if my computer hadn't suddenly started playing Taylor Swift. Infectious chorus. Great video too



Realized that although I had bought John Higg's KLF book when it came out in 2012, I had never finished it. I'd read about 80% of it back then but I decided to re-read the whole thing this week. Excellent stuff. Such an insane, fantastical, and inspiring story. Spent some time watching the old KLF videos too. 'Stand By The JAMS' stuck in my head too:


And their performance at The Brits in 1992. Oh man. So amazing that something like that would ever happen at a music industry event



Diana Rigg's passing really hit me hard. She was just so wonderful. Iconic as Emma Peel and Tracey Draco/Bond, and as herself, watching interviews with her, her spirit was just so...well, wonderful. She will be missed. I watched the one episode of her 1973 US sitcom 'Diana' on YouTube - if anyone has the others, I'd like to see them - and these fun and insightful tv interviews. 








I started reading Kathleen Tracy's biography of her too, which I had picked up at The Iliad bookshop in LA right before lockdown. 

With so much Avengers on my mind, Honor Blackman & Patrick Macnee's 'Let's Keep It Friendly' has been stuck in my head too. 





I had a dream last night that Martin Newell had a new song that used the same chords and feel as Hanoi Rocks' '11th Street Kidz' and it was as EXCELLENT as that sounds. It kind of morphed into 'Cheyenne' when I woke up and that was stuck in my head most of the early part of today.




Then L-Space posted about favourite songs not in English and I listed 7 right off the bat. There's tons, and I was very pleasantly reminded of this Nina Brodskaya song from the 1973 screwball Russian comedy 'Ivan Vasilievich: Back to the Future'. Such a fantastic pop song, full of spirit, longing, and drive.




Been way into Aquirax Uno again lately. His illustrations are full of wonder and very aesthetically pleasing to me


And this great interview with writer/illustrator Matt Kindt, whose work I've been a fan of for years, especially recently with 'Ether'

No comments:

Post a Comment