Monday 21 September 2020

Week In Music & Such September 14th- 20th

The Divine Comedy's 'Absent Friends' was stuck in my head a lot earlier this week. The perfect song for these times



Heavenly's 'Modestic' has also been in my head quite a lot lately. What a great tune, especially the drive of the chorus



And Katie Dey's 'Darkness' keeps getting stuck in there too, like for weeks now



Had three, count 'em three, great musical discoveries this week!

High On Stress  - I saw the comparisons to The Replacements and early Soul Asylum and they are not wrong! Great songs. Bought the album today



Told Slant - lovely tunes, looking forward to hearing more



And Emma Tricca. Gorgeous voice, melodies, and arrangements. The last by Colorama's Carwyn Ellis, who I spoke with a few years back about Welsh music for The Quietus and met up with him in a pub in Cardiff to talk more music. Great guy. He was involved in Sarah Cracknell's last solo record too. Yesterday I spent a lot of time listening to Ms. Tricca and today I bought 'Relic' and 'St Peter'. 



I heard Emma on 'Lodge 49', which I've been loving. I was taken in by the Pynchon-esque name and was a bit hesitant after the first episode but I'm glad my friend Michelle convinced me to continue. My sort of thing, full of crazy quests. And they seem to play Broadcast an awful lot. I hope to finish the series this evening. 

Continuing on my Diana Rigg kick and luckily there's some more great stuff on YouTube.

'Theatre Of Blood' with Vincent Price


And one of her first TV roles, 'The Hot House', which is quite odd, though she's very good in it.


And my friend Rick tracked down her TV debut I believe, the 'A Very Desirable Plot' episode of 'The Sentimental Agent'. Aired on November 23, 1963, though I don't know when in relation to 'An Unearthly Child'. She's great in this also, of course.

And since re-reading John Higg's KLF book, I've been thinking about Dada a lot lately. Considering that like Dada, Young Southpaw is an appropriate reaction to a world gone mad. There's some documentaries on YouTube I've got lined up and watch Vic Reeves' one the other night

No comments:

Post a Comment