Monday 9 May 2011

John Frusciante - "Lever Pulled"...

Continuing in the lush melancholic vein of yesterday (though this one's got some dirt in it as well), John Frusciante's "Lever Pulled" is another achingly beautiful piece of music.  A general air of shadow-and-light-specked-greys, the vocal melody is transcendent.  Or rather, encompasses all the grit and glory of gunning for transcendence.



John's music has always meant a lot to me.  I got into the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the time between "Mother's Milk"and "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", shortly before they got huge.  I didn't keep up with them after John left the band the first time, and am only now getting around to listening to their work once he rejoined.  Same for his later solo work, buying one album at a time and really getting to know it.  This lovely song is from "Curtains". 

Reading interviews with John when I was 15 and 16 had a tremendous impact on my knowloedge and appreciation of music, learning about Captain BeefheartFunkadelicKeith Levene & early P.I.L.James Honeyman Scott, as well as many others, and for this I have always been thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment