Friday 6 May 2011

The Toys' - "A Lovers' Concerto" (or, The Classical in Pop, Part 1 I would suppose)...

Soph and I were discussing composers yesterday and I was saying how much I like Shostakovich (on Monday night I walked home from a 19 hour day listening to what my ipod was calling his 'Cello Concerto No. 1 in R Flat, Op. 107' ).  My other favourites would have to be Chopin, Dvorak, and Lizst.  But there are frightful holes in my knowledge.  Although I like what I've heard, I know little about Mozart or Beethoven.  Julia Indelicate always talks about how wonderful Mozart is, and I've been very intrigued by what Robert Anton Wilson has to say about Beethoven, especially as Beethoven apparently once claimed, "Anyone who understands my music will never be unhappy again".

And then I remembered The Toys' "A Lovers' Concerto" which is based on Bach's "Minuet In G Major".  A glorious, uplifting pop song.  Another that I've loved since I was a small boy, when I would listen rapturously as my mother played her collection of 45's from the 60's.


No comments:

Post a Comment