Tuesday 24 May 2011

'Mojo' Soundtrack (Saint Etienne, Nick Cave, Marc Almond, Beth Orton)...

It was late summer 1998 and my family was in London for the day, about to return to the States from a very nice European holiday.  Everyone else used the day to rest at our hotel at Heathrow but I, knowing there were records to be bought and only hours to do it in, hightailed it to Notting Hill Gate and the Portobello Road.  The Rough Trade shop on Talbot Road has always been very special to me, for it was the very first placed I sniffed out when I came to London for the very first time in 1992 ("16, clumsy and shy...").  I was too excited to sleep on the plane and had been up about 40 hours, but once we had checked into the hotel in Bayswater, I just took off and my innate sense of record shopping took me there ; )  That day in 1998 at Rough Trade, I took their "Essential Pop Listening" advice and bought The Rosehips compilation (but that's another post entirely) and also happened upon the 'Mojo' Soundtrack .  It looked particularly awesome, with 2 Saint Etienne songs I'd never heard before ("Please" and "Constantly") and Nick Cave & Gallon Drunk covering "The Big Hurt".

Strangely, I've never met anyone else who seems to know this soundtrack and I can't find out much information on the film, let alone find the film itself (it appears to be a 50's Soho gangster film).  There is an absolutely LOVELY 50's doo-wop song by Marc Almond called "Sequins and Stars" (this was the only place I could find to listen to it on the internet).  David McAlmont doing "I Put A Spell On You",  Nick Cave wrote and sang the title track "Mojo", and a wonderful rendition of "I Love How You Love Me" by Beth Orton.





No comments:

Post a Comment