Thursday 9 June 2011

Drop Nineteens - "Winona"...

Just a quick post as I'm off to explore Queensway/take a look at Moscow Road again.  This was the area  where I'd always stay when I flew into London, as it's where the cheap hotels were. And Martin Amis writes about it in a few of his books, definitely in "Success" and again now in "The Pregnant Widow", which I'm currently reading.  And I must say I love it, easily one of his best.  I really HATED the last two (his Russian characters in "House of Meetings" don't work, as Russians, for me), but here he's not trying too hard.

Drop Nineteens' "Winona", from their 'Delaware' album, has been stuck in my head for days.  A lost shoegaze classic.  Dreamy chimey melody afloat on a slow flood of sound.  I just watched this video for the first time in 19 years.  WOW!  I saw it back in 1992, asked for and got the cd for xmas that year.  I still have the CD longbox (I recently learned this phenomena took place only in the States.  Excessive, unpractical packaging but yet somehow very cool).  I was very excited that my first ever solo rock stone gig (TT The Bear's, Cambridge, MA, November 2002) was opening for Paula Kelley & Aaron Tap (and Tahiti 80).  Also check out their and Ad Frank's Bee Gee's cover band, The Boy Joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment