Monday 6 June 2011

Petra Černocká - "Saxana" ("The Girl On A Broomstick" Soundtrack)...

Two weeks ago we stumbled upon Earwax Records in Brooklyn, which is probably the best record shop I've been in in NYC for a while.  And I came across "The Girl On A Broomstick" soundtrack ("Dívka na Koštěti") by Angelo Michajlov, out on the excellent Finders Keepers Records.  I was immediately intrigued by the cover:


and further so by "From The Studios That Brought You Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders, Daisies & The Cremator".  "Daisies" being one of my all-time favourite films and, though I've yet to hear or see it, "Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders" and its soundtrack are considered classics by people whose tastes I trust (plus I'm usually a sucker for the Czech New Wave anyway ; )

I looked it up when I got home and was presented with this stunningly catchy POP song:




And promptly bought the album.  We listened to the soundtrack as we drove back into NYC the next day for an ace 1920's night, Wit's End.  Excellent stuff.  Mainly funky variations on this main theme (and another as well), nice orchestration (I particularly like the bass clarinet on "A Rabbit In Cage 6"), and cool (& LOUD) sound effects.

I'm dying to see the film.  It seems to be up on YouTube here.

Petra Cernocká is the vocalist on this track and stars as Saxana, the young witch pupil, in the film.  More info on her and the film at Funky Czech-In.   I came across this other excellent song of hers while I was looking her up:

No comments:

Post a Comment