Tuesday 7 June 2011

Girlfrendo - "First Kiss Feeling Vs. Everyday Sensations"...

Eddie Argos mentioned the other day that he was going to play this song on his Resonance FM show, which reminded me how much I LOVE Girlfrendo (though this thought is never far from my mind).  I fondly remember the day I first discovered them, flipping through the records at the Notting Hill Music Exchange, December 2003, shortly before the end of my first stay in London.  And shortly after being intrigued by Living Death's "Vengeance of Hell" LP, I spotted this lovely cover:


And I was further drawn in by the POP! song titles.  Guttingly, my suitcases were already bulging and I had no room to carry any more records back to the States, but I immediately bought 'Surprise! Surprise! It's Girlfrendo' when I returned home (I heard Dolly Mixture for the first time that week also, superexciting!  This was the very beginnings of H Bird ).

The album is GLORIOUS POP!  Sassy, fun, cute & romantic without being overly so, fantastic (both in quality and as in given to fantasy) and overwhelmingly melodic.  "First Kiss Feeling Vs. Everyday Sensations" is PERFECTION, call-and-response shouty/singy girl/boy vocals, an argument over their relationship (and relationships in general) that transcends this, encapsulating both points of view into something that is purely uplifting.  TheCarsThatAteParis has uploaded the 1997 Peel Session version of this and 2 of the 3 other songs played.




My other favourite is "Delicatessen", which I often think is the BEST SONG EVER WRITTEN.  BURSTING with ENERGY and MELODY, a superfun supermarket crush.  Everything about this song is just PERFECT.  Some AMAZINGLY AWESOME lyrics:

"...'can I have some more of that Swedish cheese?'
He was hip and he weakened my knees
And in the corner of my eye
I saw him pick up apple pie
And when he asked for Hungarian bread
I thought of ways to his bed"

And some other excellent songs of theirs:





Find more Girlfrendo songs at Myspace Music



Find more Girlfrendo songs at Myspace Music

No comments:

Post a Comment