Friday 17 August 2012

Van Halen - Somebody Get Me A Doctor...

I was overjoyed last night to happen across Mooseic's blog post about Julian Cope's Copendium and to there learn that Cope had featured Van Halen in one of his Albums Of The Month.   Discussing the first four classic albums and this bootleg (that came in many different guises of the October 15, 1977 show in Pasadena, CA), Cope is so RIGHT-ON in his thoughts about the band.  "If they had a problem at all, it was just that they had two Shamen in one group and both shamen were showmen."  I got down my own thoughts on Van Halen earlier this year and how exciting it all was.  Nice to see that Cope, another of my favourite musicians, appreciates them.  And this got me thinking about Somebody Get Me A Doctor again.  One of the best ROCK songs ever written - the KILLER RIFF, the flair with which it's performed, Eddie's awesome volume swells and harmonics.  

The recorded Van Halen II version: 




The early live (bootleg) version Cope is talking about ("...this song is just a festival of utter confusion - I wish I didn't know it and I'm jealous of those who might be being introduced to this song for the first time via this particular version."). Slightly different intro to recorded version.



A great live version from 1982 in Largo. Some amazing harmonics flying from Eddie's fingers. Great breakdown section with interplay between the brothers, heading into Cream's I'm So Glad before returning to the tune.


No comments:

Post a Comment