Sunday 19 August 2012

What I Played At Scarlett O'Harlot, August 18th, 2012...

DJ'd at Scarlett O'Harlot last night, the sister club to Sina's DEBBIE, my favourite new night in London.  It was quiet but I didn't really mind as that gave me a chance to just play whatever I wanted.  Like DEBBIE, the remit is "sexy, sassy, female-fronted pop".  Cleaning my flat last week, I found some old mix cds I had made and chucked them in my bag.  Taking them out last night, I was reminded of two FANTASTIC POP songs.

Emma Bunton's Maybe.  I've always loved this song since seeing the (very cool) video when it came out (I do like the glasses bit).  With its Latin-tinged and 60s feel sliding effortlessly into a soaring major key pre-chorus and chorus.



And Fabienne Delsol's ultra-cute cover of Serge Gainsbourg's Vilaine Fille, Mauvais Garçon.




Serge Gainsbourg - Vilaine Fille Mauvais Garçon by Tushratta


What I Played:

Jah Wobble & Julie Campbell - Feel (one of the best songs of the new millenium)
Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch
Saint Etienne - Burnt Out Car
Gina G - Ooh Aah...Just A Little Bit*
The Light Bulb Project - San Francisco
Pizzicato 5 - Twiggy Twiggy Vs. James Bond
Emma Bunton - Maybe
Fabienne Delsol - Vilaines Fille, Mauvais Garçon
Throwing Muses - Not Too Soon
The Long Blondes - Once & Never Again
ABBA - Waterloo
Shrag - Rabbit Kids
Jackie Trent - Only One Such As You
Christy - Deep Down
Bettye Swann - Make Me Yours
The Pipettes - Pull Shapes
Anthony Adverse - L.U.V.
Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Killing Jar


*As has happened on more than one occasion, I've had an entirely different song lined up to play next and, either due to the deck resetting itself to the first track or me being distracted and not checking it's all lined up, instead of that intended song, Gina G gets played.  This is not a bad thing.  Though I had Curve's Horror Head on deck and was going to flow nicely into Xymox's Imagination.  Of course, Gina G changed the course of the set ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment