Monday 2 January 2012

Darren Hayman - I Taught You How To Dance...

My third favourite song of 2011 (after Mikey Georgeson's Moth In The Flame Of Carnality and The Real Tuesday Weld's You're Gonna Live), I Taught You How To Dance is just lovely, a beautiful pop song.




I interviewed Darren Hayman recently and found he had a lot of interesting things to say about music.  You can read it here.  Here's his comments on this song:


I Taught You How To Dance is one of my favourite songs of the year, anything to say about that one?
DH:  Ok, thank you.  I like that it’s a bit like a standard.  Sometimes when you’re in a situation like…you’re at someone’s wedding, and this doesn’t happen really, but you sometimes feel like if somebody went ‘Oh, Darren’ll do a song, Darren knows a song’ and then you’re seeing like old people and young people and children and I’ve just often felt I’ve got nothing for that situation. Like just a stand-by, just like a love song which doesn’t talk about prostitutes or money or any horrible things.  So that was the idea behind it, to write like a cruise ship song, and it sounds like a cruise ship song to me, it sounds like you’d have the mirror ball going around whilst it was playing.  There’s nothing particularly special about it. I quite like the title, it started from the title and I quite liked a love song having an arrogant title.  I liked the idea of the song coming from a point of arrogance, cause it would be naturally more romantic to say ‘You Taught Me How To Dance’, would be the more emphatic way to structure the song, so I quite like that as a writing challenge.

And I just found this "Unplugged In Monti" version from indieforbunnies.com .  "a very special acoustic version of his song "I Taught You How To Dance" in a little courtyard of Via Del Boschetto, in the heart of Rione Monti "

No comments:

Post a Comment