Friday 6 January 2012

Spearmint...

On New Year's Day at The Hangover Lounge, I was talking to John Jervis about Spearmint, what a great band they were and what a great songwriter Shirley Lee is.  I fondly remember back in the late 90s, The Pill club in Boston, MA used to play We're Going Out. Such a great anthem, it never fails to lift one's spirits.  So in love with that song was I, I ended up paying $37 for the A Week Away cd (with bonus A Trip Into Space ep), the most I think I've ever spent on a new cd.  Worth it though.  Had never seen the video for it before.  Great stuff.  Dickon Edwards (Orlando, Fosca) was in the band for a while, here seen playing a delivery man.




And then there's Sweeping The Nation, a beautiful pop song, complete with a sample of Dobie Grey's Out On The Floor, all about those bands that never made it but were no less great for it, and the importance of sticking to what you believe in.  Spotify link here.  That bit at 1:51 - "I, I've been wasting my life..." - with the descending chords is one of my favourite sections in all of pop music.  Lovely.  And here it is live at the Strange Fruit Festival 2003, which I'm glad to say I was at and it was excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment