Monday 11 April 2011

Sambassadeur...

On Thursday April 7th, 2005, I headed down to The Windmill in Brixton to the very first How Does It Feel Presents .  This was still when I didn't know very many people in London but I didn't let that keep me from attending a gig every night of the week if something interesting was on (and there usually was).  I had been a big fan of the How Does It Feel clubnight since I had moved to London in 2003.  In fact, the 2nd weekend I was in London (the very 1st I went to the Strange Fruit club, who were to make me feel very at home in London and for whom I'm always thankful how AWESOME they made my first stay here) I went to see David Gedge guest DJ at HDIF and ran into Harvey Williams again, who also pointed out many other indiepop celebrities in the crowd.  I remember walking home that night and really realizing just how GREAT it was to be living in London.

First up was Wintergreen, who, checking my journal, I missed.  But I was to see them many times that year and I really like their stuff.  Then Vermont, who I always thought were fantastic.  I had seen them at the 2003 Strange Fruit festival (an absolutely spectacular 4 days of music and drinking, I mean look at this line-up.  The special guests were The Lucksmiths!)  I was so impressed, I immediately bought their ace 'Ins Kino' cd.  And I rather enjoyed them at this first HDIF Presents as well.

Tired and on my own, with Brixton being a very long way home if you live north of the river and miss the last tube, I debated leaving after Vermont's set.  But I had heard some good things about Sambassadeur and knowing they were Swedish and took their name from a Serge Gainsbourg song, I decided to give them a chance.  And was so glad I did.  I fondly recall standing by the bar, lights low, completely entranced by this melodic hypnotic pop.  Like The Magnetic Fields playing early New Order.

Here is my favourite Sambassadeur song, "Kate", from the 'Coastal Affairs' EP:



I've really enjoyed all their releases , especially the first record, which I fondly remember getting in the post from Labrador when I moved back to the States later that year and driving around my hometown listening to it.  Perfect autumn-driving indiepop.  So a few from that album:




No comments:

Post a Comment