Sunday 10 April 2011

Under Cover Of A Streetlamp...

So how I first heard Breathless was, when I first joined Rockets Burst From The Streetlamps in 1998, we decided to each choose 2 songs that the band would cover.  As we'd rehearse 3 or 4 times a week, a lot of which was spent drinking wine and talking about amazing music (films & books too), so many songs came up that "we should cover", it was a good idea to narrow it down.  Discovering new music is always a joy for me, often approaching euphoric heights, and I'm still thankful today for Annie choosing Breathless' "Sometimes On Sunday" and Craig introducing me to Opal's "Strange Delight" and then their 'Early Recordings', which is just awesome.  I had only known 'Happy Nightmare Baby' and this is much different, more 'pop', more major keys.  (There's also 'Early Recordings Vol. 2' , I highly recommend the Totally Wired blog those are on, some great finds on there).  So I thought I'd post the 8 covers we choose.  And you know what?  We never covered any of them ; )

Craig's choices:

Opal's "Strange Delight":



Morrissey's "Jack The Ripper" (you probably know the released version so here's the 'rare original version'):






Rick's choices:

Crime & The City Solution's "On Every Train (Grain Will Bear Grain)":




Psychic TV's "I. C. Water":




Annie's choices:

Breathless' "Sometimes On Sunday":



I'm ashamed to admit I'm having trouble remembering her other choice.  It might've been Neil Young's "Helpless", it might have been Dream Academy's "Life In A Northern Town".  I'm waiting for her to get back to me.

Aug's choices:

The Jesus & Mary Chain's "Sidewalking" (wasn't there a proper, awesome, 'Sidewalking' video? I remember one - oh yeah, here it is, thanks Trev Oddbox.  Proper POP video, can't seem to embed it though):



New Order's "Age Of Consent":

No comments:

Post a Comment